Lessons from My Reading

M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Gaining Marketing Smarts

At least, I hope I'm gaining some marketing smarts.  Time will tell.

Half-Elven Marketing Stuff
Spent most of the week-end torturing my hip and learning writerly stuff at the Northern Colorado Writers conference.   I spent most of my time in the marketing/promotion sessions and talking to people.  Learned lots.  Now, I have to put it into practice.

First, change ... as you see ... is that I've combined the writer's blog with the Half-Elven blog ... again.  [Yeah, I'm something of a worm on the end of a hook, but I'm learning, I think.]  Seems I was diluting the blogging audience.  The URL link to the Half-Elven Blog is gone.  It's now "Half-Elven News", of which there is precious little to say.

Other than that, I'm still dinking with the website after combining the blogs.  Translation:  I have to get on the phone to bug the GoDaddy customer service people.  Tried for a couple hours to change my URL navigation link to a page where I give "Half-Elven" news.  Yeah, the klutz struck again.

Marketing Example:
I've been watching Nancy R. Williams marketing her new book, The Treasures of Carmelidrium,* which came out recently on Amazon.  Her blog, N. R. Williams, Fantasy Author, recently gave some interesting information on meta-tags and marketing.
    
      Insight 1) She asked friends to tag her at Amazon to increase her rankings.  I didn't know you could do that.  So, if you have a book on Amazon, you might study what she did.  I'm giving this info to my harpist daughter.  It's well worth studying ... and maybe adding some tags for Nancy as a thank you.  I know I did.

     Insight 2)  The tags look suspiciously like metatags.  You know, the do-hickies that help you rise or fall on the search engine pages.  So, it might be a good idea to look at your websites and blogs to see how you can improve the pesky things.

The time would be well spent if it gives your writing a marketing boost in the search engines.  Of course, if you're already a metatag marketing wizard, you probably skipped this.

Have you written any blogs on how your marketed your books.  Why not mention them with the results in the comments?

*Hope I spelled it write.  The name's so long the letters keep jumping around, and I never know which syllable I read is correct.


Post a Comment