M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Trailer Progress

How's the book trailer progressing?  I think it is.

Yeah,  I'm still sweating the making of my first book trailer.  Sweating, not because I'm worried, but sweating because it's hard work ... and time consuming.  But then, book trailers seem to stay on YouTub forever so it should be worth the effort, someday.  

Did get the music part nailed down ... though not "done", but it's nice to know what I want is possible.

From what I see on AW Water Cooler and from searching "making book trailers", the things seem to be a popular topic.  If you are interested in seeing what the "big boys" are doing, you might check out:  In Search of the Ultimate Children's and YA Book Trailer.  They've got some interesting examples. 

On the personal end:  I'm getting quick responses from a book trailer maker ... who likes my daughter's harp music.  Granted the elf and Celtic harp music is sort of a cliche.  But then, my daughter's playing isn't the usual stuff most harpists pluck from the strings.  [plug:  You can get free samples of her music.]  Funny thing, though.  In my various Half-Elven stories, no one plays the harp ... that I can remember.  Drums.  Fiddles.  Whistles.  No harps.

Has anyone had a positive or negative experience with book trailers?  I'm doing this to increase name recognition ... and hopefully, to sell some "books".  Who knows how successful it'll play out. 

[Books is in quotes since what's being published is a novelette since I think it's too short to be classified as a novella.   Have you noticed that quite of few e-publishers do short stories as singles?]

10 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

That's really neat Kay - and I love the CD cover with the gritty waterfront scene behind. Harp music is so pretty.

Unknown said...

If you listened to Amazon's free samples, you know why I'm a Proud-Mama.

More important, she manages to support herself in NYC with her harps.

N. R. Williams said...

Ugh! I tried to find music, but everything I like had copy right issues. I couldn't afford the little snippets from those that sell them and none had the right feel. I was looking for the flute. So, my book trailer is on hold until I come into some money.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Unknown said...

Nancy: I'm capitalizing on my Christmas present.

By the way. We tried to interest her in taking the flute. She chose the harp. Imagine my old man hauling a concert grand harp up to the third floor one a week ... and down again.

Anonymous said...

You should be a proud mama; beautiful music there. I've seen a few of my writer/blogger buddies come up with some pretty cool book trailers, and I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Margo Berendsen said...

A book trailer! The very thought of trying to make one makes my head spin! Not sure it's from creative possibilities, or from being overwhelmed! I'm looking forward to seeing yours, though.

Unknown said...

Am waiting for the details on the contract. Also, I'm going to have him work up a promotion campaign.

Think maybe I could eventually do it on my own. But, it'd be faster if he does it. -- Good thing I don't buy many clothes. [Must admit I bought a $200. pair of shoes, but they fit!]

PK HREZO said...

Hi Kay!Im coming over from EJ's blog. I like it here and do believe I'll be back to check out more. Thanks for the trailer links. I havent got that far yet, but it looks like so much fun. :)

Unknown said...

It's a slow process, especially since I started from scratch and am still ignorant. I have my daughter holding my hand.

Should have some news on this front Monday.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I can't wait to see your trailer, Kay. I'm impressed that you're tackling this on your own (with your daughter advising, of course). Even so, that's very impressive.