M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Worst Writing Fear -- Kia Carrington-Russell




A Writer's Many Fears
by 

Kia Carrington-Russell


My Worst Writing Fear? Well how do I choose one? Being a writer is in many ways petrifying it’s not as easy writing down scene by scene and know it will be all fine and well.

First I must compete with myself. Having a busy work schedule and social life it is hard to put aside time for writing specifically. I love learning different languages, studying, exercising, photography and painting, but find when I’m “in the zone” of writing I am unable to do it all, and purely must focus on my writing.

I am constantly thinking about my book where ever I am; I don’t know if I can still claim it as a passion it’s more like an obsession. I fear that I might talk about it too much, or I am missing out on certain things as it is always time consuming to make it right. But I’m not complaining I love writing. I just find it hard and hope I am balancing everything in my life right.


Writing is the easy part. I always have issues with conveying myself properly. I already have insight and visual on everything- I can see the fight scenes, I know the characters personally, and I know how they are feeling in every sentence they speak. However, some readers may not understand what I have written as I haven’t expressed it properly.

Lucky for me I have an amazing editor, family and friends who tell me honestly what they don’t understand or what clearly needs fixing. 


For the most part, and I think many authors will agree with this; I do fear judgement on my book. Not everyone will like it, some will love it. But spending so many hours, days almost years working on this project- it instantly becomes a part of you. Everyone says you must detach yourself from judgement but I honestly cannot find how. This is a fragment of my own imagination, something that I created, have been a part of the whole process, built, examined, torn apart myself and consumed far too much coffee for. This is a reflection of myself, imagination and creative writing. How can I not be touched if someone loves it or dislikes it?


I don’t tremble at the thought of a review as it is interesting to see everyone’s perspectives. It is simply a little daunting.

Another common assumption- Most think because I am an author I am great at spelling, structure, punctuation etc. Wrong. I am terrible. I only recently learnt how to differ between then and than. I mostly fear for my wonderful editor, Ashley who I can probably imagine crying when she begins reading my first few chapters. But she is passionate in what she does, believes in my book and my writing and I think she enjoys the challenge. So I am very grateful for having such a great team and support.

Every obstacle and hesitation can manifest into a fear. If I try to overcome these as a writer I achieve great things and in result am a proud published author. I try to not label these things as fear but more so as a challenge. After all it can only make you stronger right?  

And plus I’m a dreamer. If I can’t get through an obstacle I will simply imagine myself flying over it.

~~#~~

 
Author Bio:  Kia Carrington Russell

 About author: Kia Carrington-Russell is a young author working on her first series: “The Three Immortal Blades”. Kia began writing at the age of fifteen in high school- finding that all her warped and strange dreams were giving her a fantastic new world- and since then she has never looked back. Kia Carrington-Russell Kia was born in a small town in Australia, moving around a lot at a young age until finding a stable town where she finished her schooling. Kia found herself enjoying and expressing herself through poetry, short stories and writing, photography, painting and drawing. All these mediums help Kia express the different world that she is so fond of. In ‘Senior Art’ Kia focused on feminism and female empowerment; exposing through her work issues and concerns that many people would rather just “sweep under the rug”. In one art installation, Kia made a bed out of Pokémon cards- the concept being that when she slept a new world would come to life and it was the only one she saw and constantly lived in. Kia now focuses on her photography, writing and self-help blogs on her website: ‘Precious Living’. Kia is now keenly working on “The Three Immortal Blades” series knowing that this book has to be shared with the world and that is what she aims to do now. Kia writes in her Australian home, trying to focus at times on simply what is running through her head, as her cats either terrorize her legs as scratching posts or her puppy barks in her ear for play-time. And as she continues her series, they grow with her book. Kia is strongly supported by her friends and family and thanks them dearly for being with her along the bumpy road and nothing would please her more than having your support as well. l

More information about Kia Carrington Russel and her writing at be found at her website.  She can also be found on Twitter and Facebook.


~~#~~

Book Blurb: Possesion of My Soul

Karla Grey is an ordinary young woman that is taken from her mundane life into a world of blood lust as she begins to struggle with a unique ability. Karla is a Shielder; an exceptional fighter born with the rare ability to project a Shield for protection. However, Shielders are not the only kind that possesses such a talent. The Shielders battle a war that has been raging for centuries against the Starkorfs, who drains and kills humans and Shielders alike to obtain a near immortality.
Whilst engaged in battle Karla begins to hear a woman’s voice echo in her head and throughout her dreams. Amidst the chaos of war and death that surrounds her, Karla must also confront the charming Elemental Breathers who are quick to conjure up the element they inherited at birth.

Karla must unravel the purpose of her curse. But first she must learn to never let her Shield down. The woman manipulating her thoughts may be dormant for now but she has every intention of possessing Karla; mind, body, and soul.

Karla must choose between right and wrong: the charming Lucas and the selfless Paul, death and life, lies and truth. Within this new reality the search for the Three Immortal Blades begins. 






3 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's absolutely true, Kia. The only way to overcome writerly fears is to wade through them, sometimes many at the same time. Good luck finding that time to write with all your other obligations and interests. I've been doing this almost ten years now (and I'm "retired"), but I still have trouble putting myself in front of my work in progress and just writing.

Unknown said...

Don't we all. It's 8:30 PM, and I just finished the revising I wanted done by noon.

Kia Carrington-Russell said...

Hi Patricia, you are very right. I think now I am setteling an okay balance but leanring very quickly that being an author is very "unpredictable". Thank you for reading my article and I wish you well in your writing career.