M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Random Thoughts On Writing

Color my face green for Halloween. Read Maria Zanini's blog on promoting her new book, Chain of Souls. She's running a nice little contest [+], all people have to do is mention it on Facebook and Twitter so it's easy, [+], mentions her first book [+], and feeds her dog at the same time. Seriously, you should take some time to read her past blogs. I like her energetic promotion of her books. 

[I'm the contrast for what not to do. All talk, and very little do.]

Ever wonder why so many "mainstream" writers are e-publishing their backlist? The Passive Guy ran a piece where Nina Bruhns, a romance writer [who I haven't read], discusses why she e-published. Seems her traditionally published print book delivered $42.50 in royalties. Over the same period of time, the same number of e-books sold = $1500. Don't need to think much about why there's an indie revolution.

Writing paranormal? If you can put an interesting twist o the cliches, I think you have a strong market. Picked up a paperback at the grocery store featuring five short stories by J. C. Robb and a bunch of other writers I had never heard of before, including Ruth Ryan Langan. In touch with the season, all had a touch of the paranormal.

My favorite story of the bunch was Langan's "The Unforgiven", a ghost story about a highland lord who wasn't too thrilled about have his castle turned into a bed and breakfast by a impoverished woman, who had just inherited said castle. The story was quite a bit more complicated than that but that's a good enough log line for writing of the fly. [Robb's monster was pretty neat, too, but I can't remember the other stories.]

Then, there's NaNoWriMo. The madness is almost here, and the Duolit team gives writers a strategy for successfully pounding out 50,000 words.  Look at their other suggestions on their blog: 5 Tips For NaNoWriMo Success. My comment: If I have to do an outline, I'm doomed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always put together such interesting random thoughts, Kay.

For some reason, Blogger won't let me log in to leave a comment, so today I'm anonymous. (Shhh, don't tell anyone.)

Jenny

Unknown said...

Maybe next time it will.

Don't expect me to explain computer mysteries. I've got all sorts of them myself ... including getting a link to my Facebook fan pages going. [Guess I'm going to have to do a little studying ... when I get the time.]

Maria Zannini said...

LOL. You got me on how these contests and such originate. I swear to you, I think of them five minutes before I post the blog for the day. My brain must be processing in the background while I'm typing up the post.

It works, so I won't complain. :)

Unknown said...

I reserve the right to admire you, Maria. I've learned a lot from you ... even if I don't do it. I think I'm longing for the days when marketing departments did all that stuff.

Margo Berendsen said...

Oh, I like that ghost of a highland lord with his castle turned into bed and breakfast!

So you write with no outline at all? I'm impressed! I used to do that but now I can't keep anything straight anymore without an outline.

Unknown said...

Must admit I write an outline after the fact so I know where I've been. I also have a bunch of blank chapters. When I have an idea I put it in a "chapter" for possible inclusion.

I liked that Highland lord too. He was a better drawn character than the MC, mainly because the MC embodied too many cliches.