M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Pause That Annoys

The book trailer saga complicated itself again.  Thought I had all the pieces together so that I could start on the thing so it'd be ready to to place it just before the novella is published.  1)  The publisher hasn't gotten back to me with answers on book cover and publication date.  2) The artist wants royalties.

Simple enough on the face of it, but it just means more work.

I want to write.

In the meantime, I'm editing "Dark Solstice", yet again.  About half done.  I've delete some verbiage that slowed down a couple scenes.  Bottom line:  It pays to let a manuscript lay between revisions.  You notice the clinkers better.

Now, since I don't have any emergencies screaming to be solved, I'm going to read blogs.  I may even leave some comments here and there.

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I love the title, Dark Solstice. And you're right, a break from the ms. always helps me see things more clearly.

Anonymous said...

"It pays to let a manuscript lay between revisions" = so very true. I'm amazed at the crap I find!

Unknown said...

Maria and Milo: You'd think I'd draft stories faster, knowing I'm going to be revising. Still, I keep shuffling back and forth.

Maria: I hope a publisher like the title too -- and the rest of the story enough to publish it.

Angela said...

I understand the draw of letting it sit. I'll have to remember that that's good advice.

Unknown said...

Angela: I can remove the nits like passive verbs, typos, and redundancies. But, to feel the flow of my stories, I have to let them rest so I can hit my head against the extra verbiage that stops a scene in its tracks.

JA Grier (ee/em/eir) said...

Always annoying when you are ready to run and everyone else is on hold. Keep the faith :) When in doubt, write something ...
One Writer's Mind

Patricia Stoltey said...

I think I've forgotten how to write. I sure don't seem to be doing too much of it these days.

Unknown said...

I wish I was writing too, but I seem to be stuck in revision mode. -- Wonder what will pop out when I pull the stopper.

Sylvia Ney said...

Very cool blog! I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, Sylvia. But the AZ thing makes me feel guilty.

I'm a care-monitor for a friend who just went into Hospice care, and I asked to be removed from the list at two places, but it didn't seem to happen.