M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Fantasy or Science Fiction: What's Your Genre?

Science Fiction or Fantasy?  Have you decided what genre your WIP is?  What happens if your idea straddles the boundary between science fiction and fantasy.  Of course, it could be argued that science fiction is really just another form of fantasy.  On that level, literary fiction is fantasy too.  It's all made up, even if some actual event is the spring board that launches you into the story.

The question came up at my last critique meeting.  One of my critique partners had a short story published by a regional e-publisher.  [Steven A. Benjamin:  Just Desserts, TWB Press]  It's a fun story about the devil and attacking desserts, and I'm a great-aunt of the story since we critiqued the holy heck out of it -- which Steve admits.  [So, the link]  

TWB Press does science fiction, supernatural, horror and thriller short stories.  Not, dyed-in-the-wool fantasy so I couldn't submit "There Be Demons" even though it has a supernatural element.  It's a novel anyway.  I did put it on my publishers list because I may write a short story that'd be appropriate.

In my mind, the question involves "Dark Solstice" after it gets rejected.  [Hey, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they request a full ... but I don't know how close the the target my premise gets to the publisher's sensibilities.]  The question:  Is "Dark Solstice"  science fiction or fantasy. 

The argument for science fiction, granted social science rather than hard science:  the effects of genetic drift on a mixed population with two distinct genomes.  In the "old days", I might have used the word "races" to discuss the genetic combining of elves and humans, but that's not kosher anymore.  What happens is that traits and skills get mixed in a population:  1/4 genetically the same in one population, 1/2 mixed genetically, and 1/4 genetically the same in the other population.  Half the population would have no magic, and the other half would have an over-abundance in basic Mendelian terms.  Of course, that's for just one gene.  The possible manifestations increase with the number of genes.

The problems of mixing gets more complicated because genes don't stay on their original chromosomes.  They jump [transfer] from maternal to paternal chromosomes and back again.  So, you never quite know which traits might appear in a physical individual.  "Dark Solstice" is set in a background where most of the population has mixed genetically ... while still being governed by the original mostly elvish population four hundred years later.  ---  Try to fit that into a query or snynopsis.

Other change thread concerns the economic structure:  from a feudal society to a mercantile one -- which doesn't have a hard science component.   [If economics was a hard science, the US wouldn't be in the fiscal mess it's in.]

The argument for fantasy?  We're talking about elves here, philandering elves, who abandon their offspring, at that.  I doubt if most American publishers would see beyond the elves to see the social science.

The bottom line?  I'll probably self-publish in a couple of years ... making another critique partner happy -- since she sees no sense in bothering with the traditional publishing scene.  I'm with Steve.  It's nice to have the imprimatur of someone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is. 

So, what's my genre?  A jumble of ideas, aka a mixed genre story.

Trivia:
It must be Spring.  I'm mixing sorrel and chives in with the store lettuce.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Oh. If people are looking at the site [besides search engines], I better clean it up. I've been neglecting it.

Deirdra: I tried to thank you on your links but couldn't find the comment. Guess I'll have to do it from here. "The Computer Klutz"

Ju Dimello said...

My stories border between paranormal and urban fantasy !

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Sarah Allen said...

I actually write mostly mainstream, though fantasy is fun too.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Unknown said...

Ju: A good percentage of my reading ends up in those categories ... even though my last four complete drafts were tween.

Sarah: I wish I could write mainstream, but I don't live in the real world any more ... if I ever did.

nutschell said...

I like sci-fi, but I am totally in love with fantasy. I'll get whatever fantasy i can--high fantasy, urban fantasy, mainstream, etc. love it!
great meeting you through the a-z
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Unknown said...

Picking reads is difficult because there're so many books and so little time. I depend on covers, blubs and first 2-3 pages to hook me if it's an unknown author. So, my reading is eclectic.

Unknown said...

See, I think this is the problem with genres. It can get very messy, very quickly for almost any story that is examined closely. Very stories fit snuggly into any one category. In the end, probably only the publisher and individual reader can make an accurate assessment, and then it will only apply in their instance.

I know we're told to write with an audience in mind, but I think that's becoming increasingly irrelevant in the digital age. You can just pick whatever category you want your book listed in on Amazon, after all. :-)

BTW, the link to Steve's story isn't working. (At least for me.) I'll stop back by later as I'd like to check it out!

EJ

Margo Berendsen said...

I really like your science fiction and ecnonomic touches to a what might otherwise seem a traditional fantasy.

You actually might have a really cool selling point there. It's all how you decide to pitch it in your query.

I have mixed feelings about self-pubbing. I think people often jump into it WAY TOO SOON, or for personal reasons (which is okay, too, but be up front about it) But if they do have a really professional product that just hasn't yet found its market niche, then it's great. Just my opinion.

Unknown said...

E. J. -- The link to the book worked for me, but not the free excerpt button. -- As for books, I think think authors have been mixing genres for longer than the publishers have noticed. Back in the 70s, a lot of the "romances" I read had a strong mystery element.

Margo -- I agree with you on self-publishing, if for no other reason than getting a free editor from a publisher. As for "Dark Solstice", I'm just a little worm squirming on a hook. And, yeah. I've mention the genetic and economic background is previous rejected queries. The weird thing: Publishers are so slow to respond that my learning curve has been faster.

Elizabeth Twist said...

Genres are terms of convenience. I think it is what you claim it is. Any given story I write can be "dark fantasy" or "horror," depending on the market I'm submitting it to. (I've recently been writing science fiction too, but you get my point.)

The book sounds wonderful. I hope you are able to submit the heck out of it and land a publisher.

(Visiting via A to Z)

Ellie Garratt said...

Interesting post. I class myself as a speculative fiction writer at the moment, because it seems to cover lots of genres - sci fi, horror, fantasy, and so forth.

Ellie Garratt

Shannon Lawrence said...

I tend to write fantasy as has to do with novels, and fantasy/horror in short stories. I read all over the place, but probably primarily fantasy at the moment. I've had stories that straddled many lines, though, and still have no idea how to classify them.