M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fiction Writers, What Kinds of Worlds Do You Create? Flat or Three Dimensional?

I do love me a book that draws me into a living breathing world. My reading pleasure seems to double when the pleasure drops unexpectedly into my lap. Case in point: Martin Cruz Smith's Rose. It's not fantasy. Just a fabulous Mid-Victorian mystery set in Wigan, Lancastershire, with plenty of twists and red herrings to keep you guessing, Oh, the clues are well marked along the way but there are so many suspects with so many guilty secrets, including the missing cleric whose disappearance must be solved.

Wracked by malaria, Jonanthan Blair, a disgraced mining engineer, accepts a commission to find a missing curate, who happens to be the fiance of his former boss, a bishop, lord-of-the-manor, and mine owner. If he's successful, Blair can return to Africa to find new gold mines under the imprimatur of the bishop's commercial interests. As he searches for the cleric, all clues lead back to Rose, one of the Wigan pit girls who is the linchpin that holds the plot together until the twisty ending.

Cruz Smith is known for his research. At least, a lot of reviewers reference it. What they don't say so much is the sensual way he uses that background to create a touchable, smellable, gritty world. Can't remember one info-dump in the whole story ... and this is a historical novel that's true to its period.  He writes  good fight scenes too,  using brass-tipped clogs no less, something that was new to me.

One apt quote that had me laughing outloud: "Leveret handed him an envelope as covertly as if he were passing French postcards." It's a beautiful example of Victorian hypocrisy.

For me though, it's the multiple-dimensional characters that shine. All writers know the drill of creating living characters -- describe them, list three memories, set goals, set conflicts and give them a tic or two. Cruz Smith goes way beyond Characterization 101. Even his sadistic villains exhibit well-layered motives ... and the plotline is filled with villains of many ilks.

The book appeared out of the bowels of the basement as we tried to clear tradeable and donateable books from the shelves. Now I have mixed feelings because Rose is so well-crafted. Cruz Smith deserves his reputation if his other books are as well done. Unfortuantely, I don't often read in his genre. 


This is a five star book, in case you want a commitment.
Still don't know if it's a keeper.

###

Doesn't time pass fast when you're having fun?

Don't usually pay attention to milestones. I know I missed the fact when I posted my 300th blog. This is my 350th. Basic question running through my mind at the moment: Why I'm still here. Guess I can't shake bad habits. ... I consider this blog sort of like talking to myself even though the stats say between 75-100 page views happen. My highest view rate? 875.

Hey, other bloggers out there.
How many blogs have your written? 
Or, did you give up somewhere along the way?

Another fun statistic: My author website now ranks under 900,000 according to Alexa. I think I need to revamp it, though, because I can't see where it's helping me sell my novellas.


4 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Congratulations on hitting the 350 post. Your question made me wonder so I looked it up. I'm at the 256 mark on my current blog. No idea how many on the one I did before this one. But I'm certain I never it 875 views.

Unknown said...

That 800+ views surprised me.

Actually, I'm suspicious enough to wonder if there's some messing around with the stats. They say that after the US, the next big clump of reader are from the Ukraine and Russia. *shrug* Who knows why they're looking at my blog?

Leigh Ward-Smith said...

Hello, M.K., and congratulations on the blogging milestone. I'm a newcomer to your blog but an "old" Twitter follower. To answer your questions: I'm working on my second blog and really enjoying it. Just felt compelled to be writing again for the public; yes, I did abandon the old one. I think it was a nexus of reasons--relating to writing goals and family commitments mostly. With regard to the question of the post, I don't generally engage in deep world-building, as do sci-fi and fantasy novelists (or other genres, for that matter). I primarily write short stories and am just trying my hand at another novel-length project that doesn't lend itself to (another) world building. That is to say, it's set in a reality much like ours, if not ours (that part I haven't completely decided). That all said, world-building is so important to many genres; I think it would be excellent "writing practice" for those outside the fantasy and sci-fi genres. And I'd like to think that my worlds, such as they are, are at least lurching toward being three-dimensional. My humble 2 cents'. Anyway, best regards and much success to you!

Unknown said...

Good luck on you renewed blogging venture, Leigh. Hope the topic sustains your interested. I know that's why I chose to do "book reviews". I knew I'd keep reading books -- no matter what. [Think I'm addicted.]

Sorry, but I think world building pertains to even contemporary US setting. Each location as its ambiance which give different sensory details. I think when you create a distinct place in a reader's mind, you've created a world ... if only from the character's point of view.

An example of this is Patricia Briggs' Tri Cities area of Washington state. -- Okay, it's fantasy, but that's what I mostly read.